Acid Wizard Studio
Based in Warsaw, Poland
March 1, 2013
Press / Business Contact:
Early Access launch date:
We are Acid Wizard Studio, three guys (and a dog) making trippy games.
Darkwood - a new perspective on survival horror.
Scavenge and explore a rich, ever-changing free-roam world by day, then hunker down in your hideout and pray for the morning light.
- Experience the only top-down survival horror game that will make you scream out in terror.
- Enjoy an engaging blend of RPG, roguelike and adventure elements crafted by hardcore gamers.
- Step into a world where the cycle of night and day truly impacts your (already faint) chances of survival.
- By day explore the randomly generated, ever-sinister woods, scavenge for materials, craft weapons and discover new secrets.
- By night find shelter, barricade, set up traps and hide or defend yourself from the horrors that lurk in the dark.
- Gain skills and perks by extracting a strange essence from mutated fauna and flora and injecting it into your bloodstream. Watch out for unexpected consequences…
- Make decisions that impact the world of Darkwood, its inhabitants and the story you experience.
- Meet eerie characters, learn their stories and decide their fate. And remember - don’t trust anyone.
- Laugh maniacally as madness consumes your mind.
The game was successfully crowdfunded on Indiegogo in 2013, where it gathered more than $57,000. After it’s premiere on Early Access in July 2014, the studio spent three years refining it together with the community. Darkwood was released on 17th August 2017 to a great reception and, as of writing this, it holds the ”overwhelmingly positive” review status on Steam.
Be sure to read the full story of Acid Wizard Studio and Darkwood (which went viral) here.
Our Reddit AMA was also very popular, with some interesting bits of info on Darkwood and the studio (especially our dog).
Release gameplay trailer YouTube
Live action release date trailer YouTube
Interactive alpha gameplay trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Darkwood has an astonishing atmosphere. Tension. It’s an unnerving experience. Anguish. Those shrieks. That dog. "
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "I gauge the scariness of horror games using my patented Curl Chance™ system, which measures how likely I am to curl into a ball of whimpering fear when I play them. I rate the new trailer for Darkwood, an upcoming top-down survival horror title from indie group Acid Wizard Studio, a “Mommy” out of 10 based on the inky shadows and surreal sense of unease."
- Omri Petitte, PC Gamer
- "Darkwood is a promising top-down horror roguelike that has cult classic written all over it"
- Jeffrey Matulef, Eurogamer
- "The fear of the unknown is powerful. Darkwood takes that idea to heart"
- Patricia Hernandez, Kotaku
Programming, PR, Marketing, Management
Art, sound, music