Acid Wizard Studio
Based in Warsaw, Poland
March 1, 2013
Press / Business Contact:
Early Access launch date:
We are Acid Wizard Studio, a small independent team of slighly insane lads bent on creating memorable interactive experiences for you to enjoy.
Darkwood is a game about survival, exploration and fear, set in mysterious woods somewhere in the territory of the Soviet Bloc. It is a top-down, free-roam, surreal horror experience with a randomized world, taking cues from classic games, where oftentimes you had to figure things out for yourself. By blending RPG, roguelike and adventure elements together with a challenging difficulty, Darkwood aims to please players craving for a deep and rewarding experience.
The fear of unknown is powerful – and the unknown will try to remain unseen, forcing you to watch your back. Your senses will be deceived, your sight fooled, your smell tricked by Darkwood's surreal terrors. No answer will be given to you for free, yet somewhere in the woods lies the truth, an explanation to what has happened in this godforsaken place.
Looking for your weakness, your inner demons, only to devour you. Welcome to Darkwood.Features
- By day, explore the randomly generated woods, scavenge for materials and weapons, discover secrets, solve mysteries and talk, trade with or kill the various inhabitants of Darkwood.
- By night, find shelter, barricade, set up traps and hide or defend yourself from the horrors that lurk in the dark.
- Gain skills or perks by extracting essence from mutated fauna and flora and injecting it into your bloodstream. This might also have various unexpected consequences...
- Each action you take will have impact on Darkwood and its inhabitants. The choices you make will define the story which you will experience.
- As days go by, the lines between reality and nightmarish fantasies will begin to blur. You will start to question the protagonist's sanity, but may also stumble upon your own hidden fears...
Darkwood is a game about survival, exploration and fear, set in a mysterious forest somewhere in the territory of the Soviet Bloc. It is a top-down, open world surreal horror experience with a randomized world. By blending RPG, roguelike and adventure elements together with a challenging difficulty, Darkwood aims to please players craving for a deep, atmospheric and rewarding experience.
The game was successfully crowdfunded on Indiegogo, in 2013 where it gathered $57,323. Darkwood will launch for PC, Mac and Linux on Steam Early Access on July 24, and will be priced at $14.99.
Interactive alpha gameplay trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "I gauge the scariness of horror games using my patented Curl Chance™ system, which measures how likely I am to curl into a ball of whimpering fear when I play them. I rate the new trailer for Darkwood, an upcoming top-down survival horror title from indie group Acid Wizard Studio, a “Mommy” out of 10 based on the inky shadows and surreal sense of unease."
- Omri Petitte, PC Gamer
- "Darkwood is a promising top-down horror roguelike that has cult classic written all over it"
- Jeffrey Matulef, Eurogamer
- "It’s been SLENDER pickings in the survival horror genre recently but Darkwood has my fear-glands tingling and, disturbingly, salivating. My internal organs are swimming in terror-juice"
- Adam Smith, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "The fear of the unknown is powerful. Darkwood takes that idea to heart"
- Patricia Hernandez, Kotaku
Art, sound, music